Saturday, December 20, 2008

10 Classical Paintings (However you wish to interpret "classical")

First and foremost- the most influential painter to me/my work/my life. Before I decided that I'm not a painter I tried really, really hard to paint like him- Henri de Tolouse-Lautrec.

The above is one of my favorite paintings- Lamé by John Currin.
The above two are also by John Currin, a contemporary painter who often references classical painting or traditional portraiture but gives it a cynical modern twist.

Above and below are paintings by Eric Fischl, another contemporary figure painter who works in a more classical realism style.

Below are three paintings by Edward Hopper, another "classic" (at least, to me, and in the contemporary painting world). His paintings convey incredible loneliness and emptiness in such a beautiful way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i honestly love your own writing style, very unique,
don't give up and also keep posting because it simply just well worth to look through it.
impatient to read additional of your current posts, have a great day ;)